Ilaiyaraaja – that name spells magic. When I started this 365 day project, some of them asked why Ilaiyaraaja? Don’t we know all his songs?
I usually smile and reply – “No. We don’t. Not even hardcore fans of his have explored his music completely”.
I wanted to surprise people – normal music fans who haven’t listened more than few popular albums of Raaja. He is too awesome to be judged by few albums. I tried to feature some of his songs that are not usually spoken of when you talk about his music. I might not have done justice to his repertoire as I am not a trained musician to understand the nuances of his brilliance. All I know is I love all these 365 pieces that I presented to you. Every song is a gem. Every song is musical treat. I hope I introduced new songs to my readers and followers. I hope I debunked the doubts that few people had when I started this project.
I know people who admitted that they can’t be called as fans because they didn’t know much about this genuis’ music. I would have done more justice if I knew music well but at the same time I think the magic stays only when you don’t over analyze certain things.
Million Thanks to
- All my readers and followers on WordPress, Twitter and Facebook – there are people who have liked every post of mine. I am thankful to each one of you.
- The huge Ilaiyaraaja fan community on Twitter – if you want follow them – @sicmafia, @_Drunkenmunk, @kameshratnam, @nchokkan, @kamalaakarsh, @tekvijay, @sagittarian82, @IlaiyaraajaFans and @mayilSK
- The YouTube community – without these guys, half of my posts wouldn’t have been a reality. Follow them for some rare videos and songs of Raaja – Rajsmed, Rajarasigan and Dhinakar Rajaram
- All my friends at Chennai Bloggers Club – who keep on pestering me for my posts
- All those invisible and visible supporters – I still remember a stranger thanking me for the posts.
- And above all Raaja himself for giving this opportunity to be his fan
The 365 day project comes to a close with this post as I am taking another secretive personal project. All I like to say is explore Raaja’s music, the truth is we haven’t done enough.
The last song of the series is a devotional song that starts every Raaja concert. I am an atheist but this song forms the example of how music is beyond everything including god for me.
Movie: Thai Moogambikai
Director: K Shankar
Sung with Deepan Chakravarthy & Kalaivanan
Lyrics by Vaali