Disclaimer : I didn’t choose this movie after watching Kanna Laddu Thinna Aaasaiya.
There are only few movies in India that has portrayed coming of age with style and not treading in to vulgarity. Although there were movies that had story lines similar to Indru Poi Naalai Vaa, what differentiated this movie was the way script was handled.
Indru Poi Naalai Vaa was a story about 3 friends Pazhanisamy (K.Bhagyaraj), Venkat (Pazhanisamy) and Rajendran (Ramli). Their main objective in life was to love a girl and get married. They all set their eyes on Jaya (Radhika) who arrives to the house opposite to Pazhanisamy’s. They make a secret pact to woo the girl and whoever succeeds should be helped by the other two.While Pazhanisamy enters her house by helping her mom, Rajendran enters her house to learn Hindi from her father and Venkat enters as a boxing student to her Grand Father. The movie revolves around who finally impresses the girl and how they get married.
Indru Poi Naalai Vaa was written and directed by Bhagyaraj. The movie was produced by Irani of Silad productions. The music was composed by Ilaiyaraaja while MC Sekar wielded the camera. The lyrics were written by Muthulingam and Gangai Amaren.
Why is it special?
1. Indru Poi Naalai Vaa was a refresher at that time. It showed the coming of age comically and without going in to the dreaded path of vulgarity.
2. A comical movie needs more care when it comes to screenplay. Bhagyaraj’s was already a master in screenplays at that time (it was his 5th movie as a writer). Indru Poi Naalai Vaa is a master class for all writers who want to make a comedy. The dialogues are so memorable that they are being quoted even now. Who can forget Raghuthatha?
3. Although Bhagyaraj and Radhika are brilliant, the movie was great because of the supporting characters – especially Pazhanisamy and Ramli who were introduced in this movie. Kallapatti Singaram, Gandhimathi, VR Thilagam, VK Padmini and John Amirtharaj were aptly cast
4. Ilaiyaraaja’s music was experimental with a comical touch. Check out Mathana Mohana and Meri Pyari, you will understand why I say it. The most important part was the background score in the movie. Maestro’s masterclass makes its majestic appearance when Pazhanisamy (Bhagyaraj) comes to Jaya’s home after his two friends disappoint her
Why is it in the list?
1. It was the first movie to deftly handle coming of age story in an interesting manner. Yes, there were other movies but this one out scores everything else
2. One of the first independent movies without big producer or big actors. In fact, the biggest promotion was Ilaiyaraaja’s music. It solely relied on the screenplay and performance
3. For becoming a pioneer in these kind of stories, in fact I am not able to count the number of movies that came with similar storyline. The recent and more blatant example is Kanna Laddu Thinna Aasaiya. They have even copied sequences and dialogues
1. This was the 5th movie for Bhagyaraj as a director. In fact 1981 was a prime year for him. He released 4 movies in the same year (Indru Poi Naalai Vaa, Vidiyum Varai Kaathiru, Mouna Geethangal and Antha Ezhu Naatkal) apart from writing Tik Tik Tik for his guru Bharathiraja.
2. Bhagyaraj was known as the “King of screenplays” because of his storytelling capabilities. In fact most of his movies were remade in Hindi and became super hits. The most popular examples are Woh Saath Din (Andha Ezhu Naatkal), Aakhri Raasta (Oru Kaidhiyin Diary) and Beta (Enga Chinna Rasa)
3. One interesting fact about Indru Poi Naalai Vaa was Ilaiyaraaja’s name appears after Bhagyaraj’s name in the credits followed by producer’s name.
4. This was Radhika’s 5th movie as a lead actress after she got introduced in Kizhakke Pogum Rail. She was the daughter of the famous actor MR Radha
5. Kallapatti Singaram (Grandfather of Radhika in this movie) is an excellent comedy actor who became a regular feature in Bhagyaraj movies. He did memorable roles in Darling..Darling..Darling, Kaakhi Sattai etc., Kallapatti didn’t come from cash box but could have come from a small village near Madurai
6. I could not find any information on Pazhanisamy or Ramli. Looking for some leads on them.